Day centers located in Creative Community Living’s office buildings in Winfield and El Dorado are the hubs of an assortment of activities. All are tailored to fit the needs and wishes of the individuals served. The centers are considered “wall-less,” with the goal of having fun but promoting independence at the same time.
Here are some of the activities:
- Individuals get together with others to socialize while enjoying arts and crafts, watching a movie and having parties on special occasions.
- The day centers are sometimes the gathering place for groups going on trips – to parks, ball games, the zoo, a pumpkin patch, the circus and dozens of other places. Another favorite activity is bowling at a local bowling alley.
- Special Olympics teams practice for their competitions – sometimes at a nearby gym.
- All individuals served by CCL are encouraged to participate in volunteer activities that help someone else in the community. For instance, some go to a local nursing home once a month to take cookies they’ve made and share activities with the residents there. Others deliver Meals on Wheels, make tray favors and distribute posters around town.
- Some choose to work for a paycheck by completing tasks such as shredding paper, folding newsletters, cleaning offices or handing out paychecks. Others have jobs within the community.
- Some individuals participate in physical therapy.
- Classes held in the day centers focus on topics such as self-advocacy, safety, cooking, computers, writing and math.
CCL believes people are happier if they are involved in activities they have chosen. Some are selected from a calendar that lists many of the activities for the coming month. Other activities are organized spontaneously.
Winfield’s day center has five rooms covering approximately 1,600 square feet of space. El Dorado’s day center is one large, flexible room. They are equipped with relaxation areas, kitchens, workstations and meeting areas. Though called day centers, they are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
For more information, contact director Danielle Wilson in Winfield at (620) 221-9431, in El Dorado at (316) 320-7531 or email@example.com.